Mother Christmas (Morning)
Time & Location
About the event
Christmas past, Christmas present and Christmas future are all very familiar. But in the hands of a dysfunctional family intent on throwing annual fancy dress parties on Christmas Eve under the watchful eye of their matriarch Maggie, seasonal festivities are destined to spiral out of control. Over the course of three Christmases, Maggie, her children Davina and Ben and her granddaughter Grace attempt to have themselves a merry little Christmas but past resentments and recriminations inevitably rise to the surface each time. Surely one year will be full of peace and love and the true spirit of Christmas? Don’t bet on it . . .
This is a play about relationships and the family dynamic across three acts which signify three different years at Christmas.
MOTHER CHRISTMAS By David Lewis
This amateur production is presented by arrangement with Josef Weinberger Ltd.
There are five characters who all have secrets and pain in their past:
A headstrong, narcissistic, matriarch who seems to have passed down more of her flaws than her strengths to her 2 children. Maggie hosts the annual Christmas Eve party and we see the relationships within the house develop over 3 of these parties. Maggie likes things her way and has a tendency to snoop on her Children and interfere. This isn’t always with the best of intentions for her Children but for herself.
Maggie’s daughter and a parent herself, Davina is pulled from pillar to post by her own daughter, several love interests, her love of possessions, a demanding job and whatever her latest fad is. Davina and Maggie often butt heads and this makes for a Christmas full of friction more often than not.
Maggie’s son, a “wannabe” of lots of things who achieves very little. Brow beaten by his mother he finds solstice in the tiny petty wins he gets over his sister. A lonely man who does as he is told most of the time without really being challenged.
A mostly reserved young woman who has little desire to get involved in the family drama, although like everyone else in close proximity to Maggie she ends up being a part of it. We see her move from pregnant to a young mother who is possibly struggling with post-natal depression.
The family GP - a bright charming man who holds more than the family medical history in his past. A man who seems to have put his own desires before the well being of others.
You will notice some differences to how the auditions run when attending a workshop. We will update you before Saturday if anything further changes:
- Please be ready to show a Covid-19 Lateral Flow Test result or have the NHS Domestic Pass on your phone for scanning
- Please don't come to the audition if you, or anyone in your household is displaying symptoms of Covid-19, or have been instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
- On arrival it is advisable to scan the NHS QR code using the NHS COVID-19 app on your phone
- Masks will need to be worn when in the building.
- Please bring your own drinks/snacks as the bar and tea/coffee facilities will not be available. The toilet facilities will be open and sanitised regularly.
- Any family/partners or friends will not be able to come with you to the audition.
- Audition Workshop£0£00£0